Wednesday, July 8, 2009

America's Birthday? What?

Our 4th of July celebrations started off at the best breakfast around...Jon's grandparents! It's a tradition and quite a yummy one at that - we look forward to it every year. Jon's cousin Melissa brought a big inflatable pirate pool and my kids were so excited although it was 10 am. After they ate breakfast and begged a considerable amount of time we told them they could play in there but "remember to take your shoes off". Next thing I know someone yells over at me "Jamie, Garrett's taking his clothes off". Garrett's strip show was just the after breakfast entertainment. To his credit he points to the picture on the box "Mama, those boys don't have clothes on either, see!". They did have swim suits on you just couldn't see them when they're sitting in the water. Ah, boys!

(Whitley, Kyleigh, Rylee & Kelsie)

We rushed off from breakfast to Evergreen Park for my family's annual Slip 'n' Slide. This is no ordinary slip 'n' slide - it's three huge banners that you run down the hill that creates a fabulous slide especially when you add a little dish soap. We all love it! We had lunch at the park but before we could eat mom made us all sing Happy Birthday to America. Here in lies the confusion of the whole day for Rylee. I had explained over the last few days why we celebrate the 4th and how much I love America. But when we start talking about birthdays Rylee wanted to know why we weren't celebrating her birthday, singing to her, or bringing her presents! You're right - what were we thinking!




(Grandkid train - plus a couple extras)
Dad got a little competitive when his 10 year old granddaughter passed his longest distance so from there on out 60 year old grandpa and Malin were in it to win. I don't even know who ended up going the farthest but as Jon put it, "Malin's got the bigger fan base". Sorry Dad, it's just hard to root for a man that would crush his sweet little granddaughter's slip 'n' slide dreams!

(Yes, he seriously wears a helmet...just like Buzz Lightyear - To Infinity and Beyond)
Later that night Jon convinced me to go to Sizzler. Honestly, the salad bar was just fine, I just like to complain. Shellie came with us and we had so much fun. The kids really enjoyed their 4 ice cream cones. It's a holiday right!



Then we headed to P.G. Junior High where my family all met to watch the fireworks. I love watching the little kids run around and waiting for the fireworks to start. It takes me back about 20 years to my Grandma and Grandpa Yerke's and doing the same thing with my cousins. So fun! We finally made it home and hit the sack. What a great day!
(The Smith Clan with the exception of Ty)

4 comments:

Paul and Alli Watson said...

What a fun day!!! Although, where are the pictures of you going down the slip and slide? :)

Becca Hatch said...

You guys went non-stop! I would have been worn out by noon!

Amanda said...

I was tired just reading that!! Fantastic!!

Robyn said...

Cute picture of you and Riley!