Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Birthday Boy!

I had no intentions of throwing a "friend" party this year since Garrett had one last year. When he got an invite to his friend's party five days before his birthday you would think he would be excited. Quite the contrary. I read him the invite, he let it drop from his hands and with puppy dog eyes and a frown he says, "but what about my dinosaur birthday party?". Now, had he thrown a fit my "no party" idea would have stuck. But to see the absolute sadness in his voice and face killed me. So the next day we bought and delivered invitations (FOUR DAYS BEFORE PARTY) and I apologized profusely to their moms. Garrett was thrilled! He also had preschool the morning of his birthday so he wanted to bring dinosaur sugar cookies. Monday evening was spent making and decorating cookies, making a cake, and planning a party! I decorated the house before I went to bed and was exhausted when I finally hit the pillow. When Garrett woke up the next morning he was in awe. I brought him to the kitchen to see the cake and he went nuts! All morning he kept saying, "Thank you so much mama for my dinosaur birthday party!". The thing is, it was so heartfelt and sincere it made it all worth it. He thanked me when he saw the cookies he could take to preschool. He thanked me for the "Happy Birthday" signs that were hung up. He thanked me for the big dinosaur posters on the wall. He thanked me for the cake...over and over again. The thank you's just kept coming.
Papa Gray came over and Grandma and Grandpa Smith all to wish Garrett a happy birthday.

When 3:30 finally came he could hardly contain himself when his friends starting showing up. We colored dinosaur pictures for their placemats, played pin the horn on the triceratops, dinosaur "bone"lling alley, had cake, opened presents and decorated cookies to take home.

The boy couldn't have been happier. Nana, Grandma Sue and cousin Alek were there to help....and with 8 kids I needed it! After the party Nana let Garrett pick a place for dinner so we headed to Wingers. They have popcorn you know! We came home just in time for a visit from Great Grandma and Grandpa Gray and Aunt Mary. He finally made it to bed and fell asleep with a smile on his face! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARBEAR!

4 comments:

Paul and Alli Watson said...

Good Job on the cake! I'm impressed. That is so sweet how much he thanked you for everything. You are raising the boy right. I still can't believe he is 5!! How time flies. :)

Robyn said...

What a great Mom you are!

Kim said...

Cute pics-- Doug had lots of fun. You are such a good mom.

Amanda said...

How Sweet is he?! So fun!