Friday, November 12, 2010

Little Turkey...or something like that!


It's hard for people to understand why this little darling is often referred to as a "turkey" or other colorful expressions by her own mother. Let me give you a recent sampling of why...

Yesterday after not buying cotton candy at the gas station: "Mama, you are NOT pretty!"

Later that day while affectionately playing with my hair and in a sweet, sing song voice: "Mama, you are a big, fat, heavy girl!"

Today I asked her to pick up her scissors and pencil that were under the table: Sarcastically, NOT sweetly "Why of course your majesty!"

That's just what she's said to me.

Jon's gotten: "If you don't get me a drink I'm going to pee on your tie!"

Garrett frequently gets: "You stupidy" (stupid is a big no-no word at our house but appears to be one of her favorites so she adds a "y" or something else on the end so she claims she's not actually saying stupid).

There's been our share of hair pulling, hitting, kicking, and tantrums...from Rylee too. A recent tantrum left me laughing out loud which only amplified her outrage to the point her face was shaking and turning purple from screaming. I walked out of her room, got some warm milk and laid down on her bed with her. Ten seconds later she's stroking my hair and says, "Mama, I loves you so much!" Good thing she's so cute. Any suggestions???

5 comments:

Liza said...

How nice but bad to hear that someone else feels my pain and needs to pray for parenting tips from above...I am telling you what, I have been called a "big, dummy loser" as of late and was once told to "Sut up, Yiza" by the same kid. Elise used to ask me in a nice voice when she was small to get her something and then she would add to the end of the request, "before I fweak out." I'd highly recommend the book, "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Foster Cline. Gave me some good ideas.

Becca Hatch said...

About the time Kiki was going through a similar stage, I anonymously received a parenting book in the mail (NOT the one Liza recommended). I was pretty bugged and then I found out that the book was not anonymous, it was from my mother-in-law.

I can't decide which is worse.

So. The point is: We've all been there and no one is judging you. Plus, she is always so nice at my house!

The Nash's said...

Oh Jamie---I am laughing out loud right now I can barely believe such terrible things come from that sweet quiet shy little thing!!...but I needed a smile, so thank you for sharing :)

Ashleigh said...

No advice, just laughter. Ummm, I thinnk Olivia might end up okay in the end if that gives you any hope.

Loren & Brody said...

Do like they do on the Discovery Channel...the smart ones eat their young!