Thursday, November 26, 2009

5K Turkey Trot

In October Alisa challenged me to do a Thanksgiving 5K with her. I was not about to enter a race where I knew I'd be the last to cross the finish line. The sweet sister I have suggested we hold our own where there is no "race" just everyone doing their best walk/jog. So the plans began. We decided to do it for a cause. She decided since our wonderful aunt was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone a double mastecotomy that we would donate the $5 entry fee to the Hunstman Cancer Foundation. I emailed our friends and family to get ready and join us. We were hoping to have 20-30 people. How surprised I was when I pulled in the to temple parking lot this morning at 8:40 to find so many people! I got a little teary thinking how awesome these friends are to get up in freezing weather on a holiday when they could just sleep in but there were here!

We ended up with at least 92 people - mostly friends and family but several others who had just heard about it and others who stopped when they saw us and decided to join in.


The Smith girls


The Jacobs Clan

We raised over $775 to donate. AWESOME. It felt great and it was beautiful to be there. What a great opportunity.
I'm jumping for joy because I'm so thankful!
We are doing it again next year...maybe you can join us! :)

6 comments:

The Nash's said...

Yay Turkey Trot! :) Thanks for the opportunity Jamie, it was a lot of fun, I will look forward to next year!p.s I love your leaping for joy picture!

Becca Hatch said...

I totally plan on being there! I was so excited to hear you had so many participants!

Amanda said...

I love the jump for joy! I'll join you next year!!

Robyn said...

Way to go Jamie, know I would have been there but I was enjoying my Mom being here. Next year for sure I will be there!

Paul and Alli Watson said...

Congratulations on running the 5
K and putting together such a fun idea for such a great cause! That is so awesome. You and your sisters are such sweethearts. While I wasn't invited to join, maybe I'll have to crash the party next year. :)

Kim said...

I'm so lame! I woke up at 8:00 and really thought about coming up... then fell back asleep. You are awesome!!!