Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fruits of my Labor...hogwash! And other such grievances.

(reader discretion advised)
Where to begin... A couple months ago my mom, sister Alisa and I canned several bottles of apricots. We had a lovely time and later made apricot jam. Yum! Last week I had Alisa and my cousin Becca over for lunch. Lovely time as well. Becca was telling us about all the canning she's done and we were welcome to her apples and pears since she has oodles! Great - free fruit! (SIDE NOTE: Becca should be a professional blogger, she is absolutely hysterical, please read her blog about the difference between a Domestic Goddess vs. Domestic Badass...she is the later). She's canned a gazillion jars of food this season. So I help myself to a laundry basket full of apples and decided this morning would be "Applesauce Day". My mom came over at 12:00 and we started the process. I somehow burned the first pot of apples, only being able to salvage about 1/4 of the apples. The second go round I burned my hand while taking off the lid to the canner/steamer thingy. One of the bottles (the one on the right front row) exploded out the top. After three and a half hours of sweat and tears I have 7, count them 7 not 17 or 27, bottles of sauce. Domestic Badass? I think not. My mother asked "do you feel like a pioneer"? "No, more like a dumbass" such a waste of my time. I won't be able to even eat the applesauce because I spent so much time on them - they'll be placed on a shelf in my living room to admire for the next 20 years. I think it's safe to say this was my first and last applesauce experience. I have no problem paying $.99 a can. Case lot sales - here I come!
Grievance #2- my letter to the store manager and the main office should explain it all.
Discount Tire
Attn: Store Manager
616 West State Road
American Fork, UT 84003

Store Manager,

Yesterday I came to your store to have a flat tire repaired on our Toyota Sienna and had a less than pleasant experience. I seldom get irritated over services rendered simply because “things happen” and we’ve all been there, however, yesterday was unacceptable.

I arrived at your store and was told it would be one hour and twenty five minutes for service. Having my two young children with me I told him that was fine and we left the store at 11:40 to get some lunch. We returned at 1:10 to find our van was in the same spot when we left. I was then told it was coming right up and would be about 15 more minutes. Okay – so we wait. Another 35 minutes roll around before I’m then told they can’t fix the tire because there is a slit in the sidewall. Fine, we’ll buy a new tire – no ones fault there. “Just a couple minutes and you’ll be good to go” or so they say. It is now 2:15 before they finish – total time TWO HOURS AND THIRTY FIVE MINUTES!
That is ridiculous!!!

Like I mentioned above, “things happen”, you get behind. But be honest with me, if it’s going to take another hour or more to get my car finished just be upfront so I can have someone pick up me and my children and come back later. Your workers didn’t even offer an apology for taking so long - just a smile and a look that said “thank you for wasting your whole afternoon and $114.90 with us. Don’t let the door kick you on your way out”. Which brings me to my last point. When a woman with two kids and a stroller is trying to get out the door (or any woman for that matter) it would have been nice if one of the three workers standing there would have held the door.

Would you do business with this company again?


Regards,

Jamie Gray

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Ohhh, rats. I am still proud of you for trying!

Louisa said...

You go girl! Can that sauce. And way to go for writing that letter.

Becca Hatch said...

Invite me next time and I will help you with your applesauce! You are a badass for even trying. I'm proud of you for writing that letter- I'm curious to know what they will do for you.

tiff said...

I like your idea of displaying your precious applesauce in the living room. :) Sorry about the crappy tire experience. I'm glad you wrote the letter. Businesses need to get a kick in the pants every once in a while. And I say that as the wife of a business owner.