Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Serious Moment Please

Driving home tonight from Shellie's I was preparing the kids for bedtime by telling them the routine that we'd start as soon as we got home (p.j.'s, teeth brushing, scriptures, prayer, etc.). I asked Garrett if he remembered what we had read last night in the scriptures (the picture variety, of course). We proceeded to have a great conversation about Nehor and Gideon the rest of our drive home. He told me about Nehor being a bad guy, bad choices make us sad and good choices make us happy. It was amazing to hear what he had to say and what he comprehended. For me, it made me realize yet again, how important our role as a parent is. We teach our children period! Whether it is for the good or the bad, we teach them. I know by my example I haven't always taught my kids the good stuff, but I'm working on it. Tonights experience just makes me want to try harder!

4 comments:

The Nash's said...

If you are reading scriptures with a four year old and a 1 1/2 year old you are a great example!!! I'm impressed. Gavin and I haven't quite made it there yet! :)

Amanda said...

Way to go, Jamie! That is SO great... I echo your sentiments about being the example.

Ashleigh said...

I have go along thinking that I'm doing pretty good and then all of the sudden I have a moment or experience where I realize there's still so much more I need to be doing! I heard a talk that said that the language of the scriptures should be just as familiar to kids as the language of their parents. We read every night and rarely do I feel like we're getting anything out of it, but I really believe you just have to keep doing it! That's awesome that you had such a successful night! Keep going and thanks for your example!

Grandma Sue said...

You're a great little Mom, Jamie! Kids are so receptive to everything in their world. I'm glad you're filling their world with such good things.